The largest challenge in becoming Red List Free is limited resources due to lack of education therefore consumer demand for healthy, bio-based and red list free materials. An increase in label reading by consumers has transformed the food industry. It is our goal to expand this idea of self-education by better understanding material labels used in products that are manufactured, allowing consumers to decide what we are exposing ourselves to in the built environment.
- Research the Different Red Lists Wikipedia Red List
- Learn how to use the Declare Website www.declareproducts.com/product-database
- Become familiar with Health Product Declarations www.hpd-collaborative.org/general-faqs/
- Explore the various declaration resources (i.e. Pharos, Green Wizard, etc.) www.greenwizard.com/ & www.pharosproject.net/
Put Red List Free into Practice
MCG took a difficult first step by removing all products from our library that did not follow the Red List Free vision and asking product representatives “to share information about product contents and their associated health hazards with us.” This first step created a productive platform for representatives to showcase Red List Free Products while allowing our design teams to discover new and innovative products that were not previously displayed. Take the first step, communicate with your industry resources by requiring product transparency and collaborating with product representatives.
MCG is dedicated to making informed decisions regarding the building materials used in our projects. MCG has launched a Transparency Initiative encouraging manufacturers to declare all of the contents within their products (harmful, benign, and neutral) wanting to ensure the decisions we make at MCG affect human health and the interior atmosphere in a positive way, with no negative or damaging effects.
- Hand Out Manufacturer Representative Transparency Letters to Manufacturer Representatives
- Infuse RLFC mission/goal to company website, newsletter, open house, social media, etc. MCG is proudly RedList Free
- Participate in ILFI Congresses, Cascadia Green Building Council movements, local community material events, etc.